In our Winter 2013 Newsletter we included a short excerpt of instructions written by one of our cochlear implant patients, Jean Phillips, which explains how to make a protective cover for her remote control.
Her full instructions are below for anyone who would like to try making their own…
It was the little green purse that started it. I always like to have a spare battery for my processor with me – ‘just in case’! But I couldn’t find a case to fit it which would protect the terminals from all the other ‘just in case’ clutter which I carry about in my handbag,so I thought that I would make one.
Searching in my craft cupboard I found some small pieces of 12=1″ tapestry canvas, and this gave me the idea of making a protective cover for my remote control as well. The pictures show the result.
For the remote control purse I cut a piece of canvas 6″ wide by 7″ long, then marked it across with a pencil line where it needed to be folded (these will be embroidered over so they won’t show) allow 11/2 “down for the front flap .3″ for the back. I did this so that I could work a separate pattern on the back than on the front, because of course, it has to be embroidered flat! The two front sections I embroidered long stitch squares ,each over 4squares of canvas in alternate colours On the back I worked the diagonal triangles in long stitch, filling them in with single tent stitch (Figure 3 & 4) I used up some of the spare tapestry yarns that I have acquired over the years! When embroidering, I left a 4 square broader empty, all around the edges. When the main embroidery was finished I turned one empty square over to the wrong side of the work o booth the top and bottom edges to give a smooth line and then ‘oversewed’ along the top and bottom edges of the canvas to cover the empty rows (working from the front of the work). This done, I folded in one empty square almong the side edges and then. Folded the 2 lower worked areas to form the purse shape, and ‘tacked’ them together so that the boarder holes matched. Then ‘over-sewed’ the edges together on these two sides and continued along the sides of the ‘flap’.
NOTE. I added a fastening tab to the flap. To do this I joined a small square of canvas to the flap section before I embroidered .I over lapped the canvases by 3 or 4 squares tacked them firmly so that the canvas squares matched and then embroidered them together as I worked the main part and used tent stitch on the flap. The purse is fastened with a press stud.
I find that tapestry yarn is quite expensive these days, but for projects like this, you can get away with using leftover knitting yarns, softly spun 4-ply is usually adequate for 12=1” canvas, and fine double-knit for 10 and 8 count canvas. It is trial and error really, but much cheaper if you have oddments.
The battery purse was made in a similar way to fit the size.
————————————————————————————————————————Things I’ve learnt over the years…
- If you keep talking, you don’t have to listen!
- It is they who don’t know what the subject is, not you!
- When visiting, if you don’t hear what your hostess says, say brightly “oh, yes please! ..e.and just one sugar!” And you get a cup of tea!